About Vernon M Neppe MD, PhD, Fellow Royal Society (SAf), Distinguished Fellow (APA), Seattle, WA, USA.*
Multidisciplinary international recognition
Based on peer-reviewed publications, presentations, international honors and consultations, Prof. Vernon M. Neppe is a world recognized pioneer in the disciplines of Behavioral Neurology, and Neuropsychiatry, Psychiatry, Psychopharmacology, and Forensic Psychiatry / Neuropsychiatry. For example, he is the only person listed in these or any five subspecialties in the peer-recognized America's Top Doctors and one or the rare physicians listed in all seventeen editions of this premium publication.
In addition to this, Professor. Neppe also is an internationally peer-recognized Neuroscientist, Phenomenologist, Epileptologist, Consciousness researcher, Research Methodologist, Transpersonal Psychologist, Dimensional Biopsychophysicist, Philosopher, Creativity expert, Author, Playwright and Professional Speaker. Additionally, he has major recognitions in other areas: for example, he is the undisputed world authority on déjà vu experiences, he is one of the pioneers in the clinical aspects temporal lobe of the brain and integration of psychiatry and neurology. His 100+ page CV includes 11+ books, 2 plays, and over 700 peer-reviewed publications on 6 continents, 1000+ invited lectures in 13 countries and media interactions in a large number of countries. His recognition was demonstrated worldwide when he and Dr Close were unanimously awarded the rare multidisciplinary Whiting Memorial Prize in late 2016 by the ISPE. www.tddvp.com This prize is open to anyone worldwide
*This biography was initially produced independently of Dr Vernon Neppe.
Qualifications and appointments:
Vernon Neppe, MD, PhD, FRSSAf, DFAPA, MMed, DABPN, DPsM, FFPsych(SA), DSPE, DPCP (ECAO), Dip Am Board Psych and Neurology (Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry -04, Geriatric Psychiatry- 11), FRCPC-10, MMed (Psych), DABFM, DABFE, DABPS (Psychopharmacology) FACFE, LMACFE, MB, BCh, BA, was educated in South Africa where he obtained his medical degree and PhD, and he later did a Fellowship at Cornell University, NY. He permanently settled in the USA in 1986, after being internationally recruited to found and direct the first Division of Neuropsychiatry in a Department of Psychiatry in the USA (at the University of Washington in Seattle).
Currently, Professor Neppe is:
- Director, Pacific Neuropsychiatric Institute (www.pni.org) in Seattle
- Executive Director and Distinguished Professor, Exceptional Creative Achievement Organization (www.ecao.us) (based on objective verifiable criteria Level 15)
- Editor, Dynamic International Journal of Exceptional Creative Achievement (DIJECA
- Adjunct Full Professor, Dept of Neurology and Psychiatry, St Louis University, St Louis, MO.
- Director, Human Performance Enhancement Division (HPED) of the World Institute of Scientific Exploration (WISE). http://
instituteforscientificexplorat ion.org/human-performance- enhancement-division/
Major or unusual recognitions:
Dr Neppe is:
- the first USA physician elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of South Africa;
- a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association (the highest public level);
- recipient of the Marius Valkhoff prize (about a dozen recipients worldwide over a quarter century — Consciousness Research);
- apparently the only physician ever listed under five different subspecialties in the peer-reviewed, "America's Top Doctors". These medical specialties are Neuropsychiatry, Behavioral Neurology, Psychopharmacology, Forensic Psychiatry and, and Psychiatry. He is one of the rare physicians listed in all 17 editions;
- one of the few in his profession to be listed repetitively and currently in Marquis' Who's Who in the World;
- one of the rare "Diplomates" of the International Society for Philosophical Enquiry (ISPE) (www.thethousand.com) (less than 30 ever around the world).
- Leading Psychopharmacologists of the Twentieth Century: Recognition by the Collegium Internationale Neuropharmacologicum (CINP) in series The History of Psychopharmacology and the CINP, As Told in Autobiographical Accounts. 2004. The CINP is (likely) the leading international organization in relation to Neuropharmacology and Psychopharmacology.
Dr. Neppe was:
- a recipient of the Gabino Barreda recognition / medal (Mexico, 2013, linked with his and Dr Close's TDVP ("Triadic Dimensional Distinction Vortical Paradigm") presentations and workshop.
- listed in every edition of the peer-reviewed "Best Doctors in America" (book now discontinued when America's Top Doctors was first published circa 1990)
- in the first group of Board Certified physicians in Behavioral Neurology and Neuropsychiatry,
- the leader of the 1st USA and International Delegation in Neuropsychiatry and Psychopharmacology;
- he was also chosen to lead another delegation (cancelled with the recession) 1st USA and International Delegation in Behavioral Neurology and Neuropharmacology.
Dr Neppe is a world leader in creative ideas and their fruition: This is demonstrated by his being the only person ever to have (based on objective rankings of direct creative achievements and training) achieved the rank of Distinguished Professor (Level 15a) of the Exceptional Creative Achievement Organization (ECAO) (www.5eca.com), a world-wide organization. He is also Executive Director and Editor of their journal (DIJECA). The ECAO is an organization that allows the most creative consultants world-wide to individually and ethically professionally consult within their specialty with large organizations of many kinds, and to receive funding for projects that may benefit mankind and for individual grants (non-profit 501c in process). This appointment requires objective validation of achievements and applies a defined point system.
- The only individual who has achieved the level of Distinguished Professor of the Exceptional Creative Achievement Organization. (ecao.us)
- He has been appointed as Director, Human Performance Enhancement Division (HPED) of the World Institute of á Based on distinguished qualifications alone, Professor Vernon Neppe, is one of the most qualified individuals in the world.
- He was apparently the first physician listed as a Neuropsychiatrist by the American Medical Association, and is a Fellow or above of many societies.
- He is on numerous editorial and organizational boards, and referee for many other journals. He is currently Editor of the Dynamic International Journal of Exceptional Creative Achievement (DIJECA). (This is a closed journal not available publicly on the Internet relating to the Exceptional Creative Achievement Organization ecao.us).
- He has edited, guest edited or acted as Science Editor of journals encompassing four different disciplines (Consciousness Research, Psychopharmacology, broader intelligence, innovative science).
He also received the Millennium Medal of Honor for his scientific contributions, was an International Man of the Year, and listed in "The Leading Physicians in the World".
Presentations: Dr Neppe has:
- lectured extensively round the world in thirteen countries,
- chaired international symposia,
- communicated internationally with the media (TV, radio, printed media) (large number of countries),
- lectured at about 90% of medical school affiliates in the United States
- presented well over 1000 invited professional presentations outside his university system.
Publications Dr Neppe is author of:
- 700+ publications (when including abstracts, and those in press) overall in all six continents;
- 11+ books and E-Books;
- two plays
More detail on Dr Neppe's books
His books and E-Books are available at www.brainvoyage.com. They include:
- Reality Begins with Consciousness: A Paradigm Shift that Works (http://brainvoyage.com/
RBC/perspective.php) (Drs Vernon Neppe and Dr Edward Close) (RBC) . The latest 5th Edition is a landmark, inter alia, deriving 9D spin reality and providing a legitimate metaparadigm ("theory of everything"): it has 50 chapters, >500 pages and is multidisciplinary. See the scientific comments at (http://brainvoyage.com/RBC/ comments.php) outlining their TDVP model (see http://www.vernonneppe. org/research.php) (Neppe and Close)
- Glimpses and Glossary as a complimentary supplemental further E-book to RBC) (http://brainvoyage.com/RBC/
- RBC—Key Features of Reality Begins with Consciousness: A Paradigm Shift that Works (both by Drs Neppe and Close)
- Cry the Beloved Mind: A Voyage of Hope. This is a five star ranked, extremely well received layperson self-help and brain medication education book: a widely acclaimed and appreciated book reflecting the theme of education through fascination but also truly a voyage of hope for individuals and patients (http://brainvoyage.com/ctbm/
index.php). See the comments at (http://www.brainvoyage.com/ ctbm/comments.php)
- Innovative Psychopharmacotherapy. written for the medical and pharmacological readers. Inter alia, it contains two major pioneering contributions: Dr Neppe pioneered the area of anticonvulsants in psychiatry which took two decades to recognize; and he developed the concept of toleration and responsiveness to psychotropic medications, and this still is not fully recognized (e.g. not mentioned even in DSM V apparently) (http://www.brainvoyage.com/
- The Déjà Vu Trilogy of three books: This the most comprehensive series on this topic of déjà vu by the recognized world authority. (see http://brainvoyage.com/
deja/) as well as the first book on the topic, The Psychology of Déjà Vu (see http://brainvoyage. com/deja/PDV/index.php)
- How Attorneys Can Best Utilize Their Medical Expert Witness: A Medical Expert's Perspective. This is a valuable monograph that has gone to two editions and targeted to assist attorneys involved in civil medicolegal litigation. (http://brainvoyage.com/
- Plays: Quakes and Tomorrow the Earthquake
Dr Neppe's current disciplines are diverse:
- Consciousness Research, Phenomenology, Epileptology and Neuroscience, in which his contributions have been pioneering and prodigious. For example, the ideas in his book Reality Begins with Consciousness (with Dr Ed Close, physicist and mathematician) are already regarded by many as potentially impacting thinking for centuries (http://www.brainvoyage.com/
RBC/pressrelease.php) . These ideas now demonstrate mathematically the nine-dimensional spin model.
- Dr Neppe also pioneered the extended use of anticonvulsants in psychiatry and has impacted literally millions of patients. He began this work in 1979 and his landmark contribution in 1981, was one of three different contributions worldwide on different areas (Neppe in South Africa, Post with Ballenger in USA, Okuma in Japan) which changed the face of psychiatry. Although the first major applications began only two decades later, millions of patients have benefited greatly. Dr Neppe's working hypothesis has always included putting out aberrant electrical firing in the brain.
- Dr Neppe's dramatic management of the previously incurable tardive dyskinesia with high dose buspirone is theoretically and in practice highly successful, though not often found in the literature in the area. (See Chapter 12, Cry the Beloved Mind for the enthralling initial story of this discovery). This discovery occurred in 1989 and despite its major potential application, it has been seldom used. Yet, feedback on this treatment has demonstrated an almost complete success rate in tardive dyskinesia provided the high doses required have been achieved. Dr Neppe's working technical hypothesis of mechanism in this instance is that buspirone in very high doses (generally 120mg daily or above) is a dopamine partial agonist: Partial agonists subsensitize supersensitive receptors and tardive dyskinesia is the classical dopamine supersensitivity state.
- He is also one of the world's experts on the temporal lobe of the brain, as well as the world expert on the déjà vu phenomenon (see again his books at www.brainvoyage.com; plus his site www.pni.org).
- Dr. Neppe also is an expert consultant on HIPAA, and security, and usability on the Internet. He has worked particularly with what is apparently at this time, the only secure and usable communication technique on the Internet, namely the ZSentry engine (Zsentry.com). This allows government approved HIPAA compliance, with Emails, plus a middleware that makes the cloud technically safe, plus automated application programmable interfaces that are secure. This technology is far the most important breakthrough in the IT internet area, and may ultimately save the Internet. Additionally, it extends to Internet voting technology (Safevote.com) that can be used world-wide,
- In literature, Dr Neppe developed the literary genre (sciction) and integrated "conversagraphs" because he felt he had to, so that his patients and their laypersons and the general readers could feel more involved in his writings (see http://www.brainvoyage.
- Dr Neppe is an internationally in demand Professional Speaker, Author and Playwright.
- He is prodigious and internationally recognized for his research methodological skills For example, his déjà vu work pioneered a whole new phenomenological approach. He has contributed further to the phenomenology of Consciousness Research and Brain functioning with novel classifications, approaches and empirical work making him one of the world's leading cutting edge phenomenologists in these disciplines.
- He developed the philosophical model of Unified Monism based on science, and justified mathematically with the philosophy being secondary but applicable empirically in all environments, the materialistic environment as well as the consciousness, psi, survival and mind only philosophies. With the description of Unified Monism (working with Dr Edward Close) he has developed on of the major philosophical models. This appears applicable to our real experiential world as well as a broader finite and infinite reality.
- With Dr Close, his pioneering of the new area of Dimensional Biopsychophysics, integrates the multidimensional model across the different scientific disciplines (physical, psychological, consciousness, biological) and provides increasing mathematical justifications for the discipline..
- In Mathematicologic and Mathematical Physics, Dr Neppe has assisted Dr Edward Close in these disciplines involving TDVP and including pioneering extending the application of the Calculus of Dimensions, of Dimensionometry, of Dimensional Extrapolation and Reverse Dimensional Extrapolation and of Pythagorean extensions and orthogonality, and FermatÕs Last Theorem to multidimensional concepts, as well as the derivation and development of 9 dimensional spin models, derivation of the Cabibbo angle, as well as concepts of infinity. These are all part of their complex, multidisciplinary TDVP model.
- Medically, he has also described four new medical conditions, invented about a hundred new terms, suggested three major new classifications, developed more than thirty evaluations, tests and historical screens in neuropsychiatry and consciousness, pioneered several new theoretical concepts in his disciplines. Besides this, he has also pioneered subjective experience, and its links with neuroscience and consciousness phenomenology.
- In phenomenology: Additionally, he pioneered the links of brain function and subjective experience, still remains after 30 years the world authority on déjà vu phenomena, and developed phenomenology in the Neuroscience and Consciousness contexts.
Some Research Perspectives.
- Psychopharmacology: His pharmacological work, in the early 1980s, impacted likely millions of patients and their families when he pioneered the area of anticonvulsants in psychiatry. Separately, Dr Neppe in South Africa and then continuing this work in the USA, recognized subpopulations of non-responsive psychotic and non-psychotic individuals with underlying temporolimbic instability, sometimes with explosive behaviors. This combined with Dr Robert Post in the USA on bipolar, and Dr Teruo Okuma in Japan on atypical schizophrenias impacted Psychiatry possibly more than any other finding in the past 40 years.
- Behavioral Neurology and Neuropsychiatry: Dr Neppe introduced several evaluation techniques and developed tens of tests in Behavioral Neurology and Neuropsychiatry. These have intensively used at the Pacific Neuropsychiatric Institute and include objective and subjective evaluations in the area.
- Phenomenology: Dr. Neppe's phenomenological models in Neuroscience and Consciousness Research are fundamental. This inter alia, allows a perspective of conceptualizing the organic brain aspects with the subjective. Importantly, he recognized the importance of careful subtyping and classifications of diagnoses and nosologies.
- Philosophy from Science: Dr. Neppe with an assist from Dr. Close, developed the new and very different philosophical model called "Unified Monism" as part of the TDVP model. This is ostensibly the only scientific based philosophical model that works. It technically is a form of monism with Infinity containing the Finite and the Transfinite, and Space, Time and Consciousness being tethered together as a unit.
- The Neppe-Close TDVP collaboration: During the past two decades, Vernon Neppe has become increasingly involved with the complex physics and mathematical models conceptualized in his multidimensional vortical model, and even became Science Editor of the journal of the International Society for Philosophical Enquiry (www.thethousand.com), Telicom, a position now occupied by Dr Close. Edward Close has been active in the field of Consciousness Research since 1986. This includes his classic book ÒTranscendental Physics: Integrating the Search for TruthÓ. (www.erclosetphysics.com) as one of his 7+ books. After a combined half-century of separately working on their related theories, Neppe and Close, then paired together in 2009, recognizing that they needed to combine their expertise in divergent disciplines to maximize and unify their TDVP Theory of Everything model. TDVP is discussed in detail in the Neppe-Close E-book, "Reality Begins With Consciousness: A Paradigm Shift That Works ( 4th Edition)" (RBC) (www.brainvoyage.com/RBC/
perspective) along with the clarifying E-Book Glimpses and Glossary (www.brainvoyage.com/glossary) to make key portions of TDVP more comprehensible.
- The paradigm shift: Even long before their Cabibbo findings, the TDVP model had profoundly challenged the current scientific paradigm as it is based on an empirical scientific data model with confirmatory mathematical logic and further conceptual innovations. It was developed because prevailing current science contains some areas that simply do not fit. TDVP seems to provide the first feasible multidisciplinary model for unifying Science and Consciousness, and this Neppe-Close broader metaparadigm impacts thinking not only in the Physical Sciences, but in the Psychological, Biological and Consciousness Sciences, as well as in Mathematics, Philosophy of Science, Philosophy and the Transcendental disciplines. Based on objective criteria compared with 23 other models, TDVP appears to be far the strongest candidate for a so-called 'theory of everything'. Despite being adjudicated prior to the Cabibbo information. RBC is currently a finalist for both the Book of the Year (in Science), plus the Eric Hoffer Award. The RBC book has gone to four editions in a year and half, as more and more information accumulated supporting the TDVP model and so that the authors could clarify concepts and amplify their ideas; What the Cabibbo Angle derivation has now done is to definitely demonstrate the hypothesis that a significant fundamental component of TDVP, namely the postulated 9 finite vortical dimensions, appears to be correct.
Originally from South Africa (where he mainly trained), [and also] with a Fellowship at Cornell University, New York,), Dr Vernon Neppe was recruited from South Africa to establish the first Division of Neuropsychiatry in a USA Psychiatry Department (University of Washington), and then a model institute (Pacific Neuropsychiatric Institute —PNI), which he has successfully directed (www.pni.org) for twenty years, not only as an astute clinician with referrals from around the country but also as a superb administrator, educator, forensic specialist and researcher. He is also (Adj. Full) Prof., Dept of Neurology and Psychiatry, St. Louis Univ., St. Louis, MO, a very unusual honor given his being >2000 miles away. While in South Africa, he organized the first multiracial sports match in South Africa—if chess is a sport as captain of the Witwatersrand University Chess Team.
For more information on Dr Vernon Neppe, MD, PhD (Med), FRSSAf, DFAPA, DSPE, FFPsych (SA), MMed (Psych), DPsM), Diplomate ABPN (Psychiatry; Subcertifications: Geriatric Psychiatry (-2011); Forensic Psychiatry (-2004]), DABFM, DABFE, DABPS (Psychopharmacology), FACFE, LMACFE, FAPA, FCPsych, MB, BCh, BA, DSPE, DPCP you can consult his many biographies on the Internet.
For forensic (medicolegal expert) information, go to www.pni.org/forensics and to http://www.jurispro.com/
For general academic information, http://www.PNI.
As a clinician, go to http://www.pni.org/
For audio – video recordings to www.VernonNeppe.org/
As an author http://brainvoyage.com/
Societal http://www.151s.org/ (ISI-S)
Curriculum Vitae (CV): For a Curriculum Vitae on Dr Neppe, please read the following first: The information provided is for personal use only and no-one, including those downloading it, is authorized to redistribute Dr Neppe's CV in any way, including on the Internet, unless by written agreement of Dr Neppe or his authorized representatives. In the event of any public distribution or other unauthorized distribution, this will violate the conditions of this download and may be subject to legal action. Thank you for your understanding. Only if you agree to these terms, may you proceed further and the action of requesting the codes for CV download constitutes your agreement with these conditions: Dr Neppe's CV at www.pni.org/cv . You will then need to fill in the data requested.
Cabibbo For more on the Cabibbo angle see:
Thank you to those contacting Dr Vernon Neppe, Dr Edward Close and VernonNeppe.org
We very much appreciate it.
If you do not obtain a personal note from us or from Dr Neppe, please understand he would very much like to but, at times, is receiving up to 1500 emails a day.
Whereas Dr Neppe would dearly want to contact you all, and respond individually to your questions, it is simply not possible because of the very large numbers of requests he or his team are receiving.
However, there is an alternative:
If you have specific questions, Dr Neppe strongly recommends you read the associated books on that topic.
For example, he receives questions about déjà vu experiences: Why not read his remarkable Déjà Vu Trilogy of books?
He wrote a book for how attorneys should most benefit from their medical expert witness and attorneys involved in any kind of civil litigation could benefit enormously.
His book Cry the Beloved Mind: A Voyage of Hope remains a classic for the layperson including patients and their families and consistently receives the highest acclaim: It also truly encourages individuals because their is true hope for recovery.
And of course, the E-books of Drs Neppe and Close Reality Begins with Consciousness (RBC) in its three guises are unique, truly groundbreaking and may create a basis for science and thinking for centuries:
RBC: A Paradigm Shift that Works (4th Edition): an earlier less complete version was one of three medalists in Science book of the year.
RBC: Key Features (an abbreviated E-book, about one eighth the size, with the key elements of the thinking.
RBC: Glimpses and Glossary, specifically produced to make these above two books more comprehensible, and available individually, but at this point being provided as a complimentary addition to these two E-books.
Thank you so much for thinking of these remarkable scientists by contacting VernonNeppe.org.
And for more on these books, please go to the BOOKS section, on this site, or to www.brainvoyage.com.
This is why we are trying to list special events sometimes on see below, such as the more significant professional radio, TV, magazine, newspaper, conferences, lectures and other presentations and appearances, so they can contribute as best they can.
And finally please visit the numerous YouTubes on this site that Dr Neppe and Close have made particularly on their new paradigm.
Funding And this is why Dr Vernon Neppe and Dr Edward Close, both part of the non-profit Exceptional Creative Achievement Organization may appreciate any donations to continue their work. Did you know that they have done thousands of hours of work on TDVP and on 9 dimensional spin without any funding? For findings that change the whole face of Science and Spirituality that is indeed remarkable. Please complete one of the contact forms to open such channels. And thank you for thinking of us.
Please visit the new research site of Dr Vernon Neppe, www.VernonNeppe.com (formed mid-2014).